For a smooth transaction, please take a moment to familiarise yourself with these terms and conditions.
In addition to the following, I also abide by the Society for
Editors and Proofreaders' (SfEP) Code of Practice.
1. These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client by MB Editing.
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer MB Editing work; neither is MB Editing under any obligation to accept work offered by the
3. MB Editing will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by MB Editing, using her own equipment.
5. MB Editing confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions (VAT is not
applicable) and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
6. MB Editing agrees to attend the Client's or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses
incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
7. The Client will reimburse MB Editing for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial
8. The Client will pay MB Editing a fee per hour, per printed page, per word or per character, or an agreed flat fee for the
9. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the
work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
10. If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than
had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, MB Editing may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. Similarly, if, during the term of MB Editing's work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, MB Editing may renegotiate the fee and/or
12. If the project is lengthy, MB Editing may invoice periodically for completed stages.
13. Any content created by MB Editing as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/copywriting/translation process will become the copyright of the
Client, unless otherwise agreed.
14. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without
prior written permission.
15. MB Editing guarantees that any work that she subcontracts on behalf of the Client will be completed to the same standard, schedule and
budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality.
16. If MB Editing's work is unsatisfactory, MB Editing will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
17. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of MB Editing's invoice, according to the Late Payment
of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013). MB Editing reserves the right to charge interest on overdue amounts at the rate of 3% per month on the outstanding balance from the
date of the invoice until the date of payment.
18. Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and MB Editing may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is
necessary. Either may view the other's records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
19. Either the Client or MB Editing has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of terms.
20. If MB Editing has made a substantial contribution to the copy-editing/proofreading/copywriting/translation of the work, she will be
entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
21. MB Editing may use the Client's name in her promotional material.
22. Any errors will be rectified free of charge by MB Editing if notified by the Client within 48 hours of receipt of completed work or
within 14 days for work of more than 3,000 words.
23. Final responsibility for any errors in completed work rests solely with the Client.
24. MB Editing is not responsible for the end use of any document produced or edited through her services. The Client is solely responsible for
its appropriate use, including abiding by any copyright laws, plagiarism laws and publishing requirements.
25. MB Editing is not responsible for the content of any document supplied to her.
26. The Client should not pass off plagiarised material as its own original work. MB Editing will assume no responsibility for any plagiarised
material supplied by the Client and reserves the right to return the work should she become aware of such inappropriate use.
27. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both MB Editing and the
Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.